As an added bonus, this is my first concert at the Newport, and I have to say it's an awesome venue, it was exactly the small venue atmosphere that I love. Sure enough, Youngblood Hawke is a blast to hear live, and their opening performance blows away the main act (Keane). Their hit single "We Come Running" is insanely addictive. As our energy melts away during Keane's much slower set, I decide that this had been a great night and an excellent concert, but little do I know the fun is just beginning. Lem and I get some merchandise (I couldn't resist the red-on-black shirt, so sick), and soon the band comes out.
Turns out Lem wasn't lying, he and Alice (their female vocalist) are good friends, and she introduces us to her husband Simon (guitar) and the rest of the band. After pictures and small talk while Keane finishes, the venue begins shutting down and kicks us out, but the band invites us to hang out and celebrate with them in Columbus (it's Alice's birthday). We go out back and wait until they come out; I'm expecting to fight a mob, but the cold has driven most people away, and those braving the cold are either waiting for Keane, or don't recognize the Youngblood Hawke band members. Lem and I walk with them back to their awesome tour bus...
Seriously, this makes me wish I had any type of musical talent, cause they're traveling the country in style. Here's Lem dancing inside the tour bus... they have this large hangout area in the front, a smaller lounge in the back, and sleep in bunks in the middle, sweet setup.
As an added bonus, we got to meet Alice and Simon's dog, who had to wear a coat and boots to venture into the Ohio winter (I guess they don't get weather like this out in Los Angeles...). All of the band members are incredibly laid back, chill people, and they offer us beer while we relax for bit on the bus.
After the band recovers for a bit from their performance, they decide it's time to go out and celebrate Alice's birthday. Lem and I are given the job of picking a place nearby... it's not really where we usually hang out, so we pick an area that's close (since it's cold and snowy) and that we know will have a good crowd even on a snowy night. We all venture just down the street to the Gateway district and ended up at Kildare's, where everyone hits the dance floor.
We hang out until Kildare's starts closing, and then drop the band off back at their tour bus before retiring for the night. Lem later tells me that Youngblood Hawke loved it despite some hangovers the next day; I'm hoping it was enough fun to bring them back to Columbus before I leave here. If not I'll just have to persuade them to make it to wherever I end up for residency.







No comments:
Post a Comment