The Cheese Shop. House dressing, bread ends, and Chowning's Tavern root beer... plus the Hot Smoked Salmon... this epitomizes my favorite meal in all of college. After stuffing myself full, it was time for a stroll through memory lane. In a town that's 300 some years old, nothing much had changed in the couple of years since I had last been here...

A new coffee house which greatly disappointed me because it doesnt actually serve any beverage or food, it's just a building you can tour... whose terrible idea was it to not actually serve coffee and hot chocolate?? They would have made so much money...
The Capitol... I rarely made it this far through CW on walks, but occasionally on runs I'd come this way, or long walks with good friends and long conversations.
There's something utterly magical about CW. It's the feeling you get when you're there, amplified by the many memories made there during college. The real ghosts of CW (and there are quite a few for all those of you who never took a ghost tour) are joined by the ghosts of your memory, full of close friends and precious free moments when we'd steal away from the real world and get lost in a historical wonderland.
One of the things that I miss the most about W&M is the tradition. The sense of countless students, countless generations, who went before you and paved the way, going through the same rites as you, since 1693. This of course is Wren Building, where most of our favorite traditions took place (Convocation, Yule Log, Wren Tens, Beta Theta Pi ceremonies, many ceremonies surrounding Graduation, to name a few prominent ones).

There is this true sense of pride, of nostalgia, of belonging, that comes from being here, even this many years after leaving these hallowed grounds. The nights that I spent with Alex / Adam / Will / Stephen smoking cigars and talking on the steps of the Wren and throughout CW are some of the most profound memories of friendship and belonging that I know. The times I spent on the terrace with friends, the nights spent figuring life out with the Barons and all the SBs, it all comes back in wave after wave, like an ocean of myself washing back to me.
There is a part of W&M that never leaves you, and a part of you never leaves W&M. I suspect that this is true for everyone of their undergraduate experience, yet I imagine that there is something about the sheer history, the sheer magnitude, the sheer quiet mystery of William and Mary, that captures you in a way that is somewhat unique.
I believe that the most amazing things from W&M, however, are the things that I have been lucky enough to take with me. The friendships that have borne the weight of time and distance and have seen me through everything in my life post-W&M. The acquaintances who none-the-less have forever shaped me and my life in some shape or form. The self-realization and identity gained during my time at W&M. The mission to take forth everything I have learned and serve all of humanity.
Hark the student's voices swelling, Strong and true and clear
Alma Mater's love they're telling, Ringing far and near
William and Mary, loved of old
Hark upon the gale
Hear the thunder of our chorus
Alma Mater hail







No comments:
Post a Comment